Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Tale of Two Cookies

You have been waiting all season for my cooking disasters. I didn't want to disappoint so it happened Saturday night.
When I got home from the theatre after doing 4 shows, all I wanted was a cookie so I tried a cooking experiment. You know this is going to end poorly. I wanted to see if I could make a cookie in the microwave because our hotel rooms don’t have ovens. I took some cookie dough I had in the fridge and put it on a plate. I put the plate in the microwave and set it to cook for five minutes. I figured that was safe since it takes about 10-12 minutes in the oven to bake a cookie. After two minutes, I looked up and there was smoke billowing out of the microwave. I was like, “Oh crap!” I grabbed the handle and yanked open the door. More smoke came billowing out. Then I thought, “I hope the smoke alarm doesn’t go off!” It was past 10:15 PM and the other hotel guests would not be very happy with me. I opened the hotel door to the hallway and fanned the smoke out there. It was VERY smoky! My room stunk so badly! Of course, a member of the cast went past my room while I was airing it out. He asked me what happened so I told him the story. He just laughed at me and suggested I open a window. I don't know why I didn't think of that! I tried to open the window after he left but the windows were sealed. I guess the hotel didn't want the liability of someone falling out the third floor windows. After a few more hours of the door open the following morning, the smell finally left the room. Life lesson learned: Do NOT try to bake a cookie in the microwave. Heed the warnings on the label.
If I would have waited just one more night, I would have all the baked cookies I had wanted. Company Management organized a cookie decorating party at the hotel after our shows on Sunday. I rolled out some dough; I used cookie cutters in the shapes of a candy cane, gingerbread man, reindeer, bell, and snowman; and then I decorated the cookies once they came out of the oven with frosting and sprinkles.

Me, Leann, Pancho, and Alice