Thursday, December 27, 2007

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas! I'm sure that most of you spent the day surrounded by family members, food, and presents, which is how I used to spend the day. Being away from family and friends on Christmas day takes some getting used to, but I have found what works for me.

Let me share with you my Christmas day. I slept in until around 9 AM. I then got up and did my usual morning routine-exercised, showered, ate breakfast (which was a special treat, waffles!). My friend Matt called to see if I wanted to see a movie. I said sure, and he informed me we were leaving in 10 minutes! I scarfed down my waffle and grabbed a banana to go. Matt and I saw the movie "PS I Love You". It was a very good movie! If you want a movie to lift you out of a sad or depressed mood, this is NOT the movie to see. Matt and I both really liked the movie because it had a realistic ending. We both don't like movies that have everything worked out in the end because that doesn't happen in real life!

The first part of the day seemed like any other day off from work. The second half of the day was much more Christmas-y.

I received many text messages and phone calls from family and friends. Most of the texts were from friends that I least expected would think of me on Christmas. Isn't that interesting when that happens?

I spent the rest of the day by myself. It was SO NICE!! I lined up all my cards and wrapped presents (which were 3) on my fireplace mantle. I was going to open my presents but people kept calling me. I finally opened my presents while I sat in bed (that's a tradition) around 7 PM. I received two books and a game. That was fun! Then I lined up all my opened presents on the mantle and took a picture.


For dinner, I ate a turkey frozen dinner. I admit that was the only disappointment of the day. I missed feasting at my grandparents' houses. The turkey dinner left much to be desired, but it did have turkey, stuffing (soggy croutons), and mashed potatoes. What more could I ask for?

Then I spent the rest of the evening concentrating on the real reason for Christmas. I read the story of the birth of Christ from the scriptures and actually took time pondering and really feeling what it must have been like to be the different people in the historical accounts, wondering why the Son of God was born in a dirty, smelly stable surrounded by unsanitary animals, and realizing just how good I have it because the Son of God was born, lived an exemplary life, atoned for my sins, and died so that I could live again and have hope for so many possibilities.

Then I read and listened to the Forgotten Carols by Michael McLean. I really enjoyed being reminded to have more charity in my life and share the love of God that He has given each of us with the world (or more specifically, the people we come in contact with each day).

Anyway, I had a great Christmas! I hope that you had a Merry Christmas too! I wish you all the best for the upcoming year, 2008!!