Sunday, July 24, 2011

Idaho Temple Road Trip

In July, Mom and I loaded up the car and hit the road on our Idaho Temple Road Trip.  We listened to showtunes most of our journey which included off-tune sing alongs.  Our first stop was the Lofthouse Cookies Outlet in Ogden, Utah.  Then we drove to Twin Falls, Idaho.  We went to the Costco to fill up the tank with gas and part of the road was blocked off.  We just figured there had been a car accident.  After we returned home, we realized that a crazy person had been chased by the police, shot and killed a person at a Hampton Inn, and was holding someone else hostage at the hotel.  Good thing we didn’t know all that because I’m sure we would have rethought our decision to fill up at Costco.
Our first major (and planned) stop was the Twin Falls, Idaho Temple.  It was a beautiful temple and reminded me a lot of the Oquirrh Mountain Temple in South Jordan, Utah.  We encountered some interesting people (and experiences) in each temple.  Unfortunately for you, I won't be writing about them, but enjoy the beautiful pictures.
Twin Falls, Idaho Temple
 
 
Mom and I drove to the Shoshone Falls.  They were beautiful!  We got out of the car, took some pictures, and read about the falls.   
Shoshone Falls
 
Then we got in the car and drove to Idaho Falls, Idaho where we stayed the night.
The next morning Mom and I slept in for a little while and then drove to the Rexburg Idaho Temple.  The temple was staffed mostly by college-aged volunteers.  It was great to see so many young people in the temple.  (I sound like a grandma saying that, but it was!)  The Rexburg Temple was beautiful. 
Rexburg, Idaho Temple
Mom and I drove back to Idaho Falls and ate lunch at Olive Garden.  I admit that I was ornery by this time.  I had a much better disposition once I got some food in me.  It's amazing what low blood sugar and lack of sleep can cause me to become.
Mom and I then went to the Idaho Falls Temple.  This temple was built in the 1950s so it had some very interesting artwork inside.
Idaho Falls, Idaho Temple
 
That evening, I drove to my friend, Mark Hill’s, house in a suburb of Idaho Falls.  (Who knew that Idaho Falls was big enough to have suburbs?!)  Mark had invited me to dinner with his family when he found out I was going to be in town.  I met Mark’s four children and was reacquainted with his wife.  (I had met her a few times on previous occasions.)  I had a great dinner with Mark’s family.  I always find it entertaining watching my friends be parents.  They say things I remember their parents telling us.  Mark’s wife was kind enough to put the kids to bed while Mark and I reminisced for hours about the glory days of high school.  Then she endured our reminiscing until about 1:00 in the morning!  We couldn’t believe it was that late!  Time truly flew by while I was with the Hill's.  I was disappointed that I forgot to get a picture with Mark and his family.  I guess I will just have to go back and pay them another visit.
The next morning, Mom and I slept in a little bit (not nearly long enough for me!).  We hurried to get ready for the day and made it to church near the Idaho Falls Temple.  After church, we drove all the way home.  I had a great time on our road trip.  Overall, I enjoyed visiting the temples.  The landscape is beautiful in its own special way.  I hadn't seen that much open farmland ever!