Monday, January 30, 2012

Jury Duty

January seems to be a very depressing month in Utah.  The holidays are over.  I'm back to work.  It is COLD!  There always seems to be an inversion over the city, etc.  You get the picture.  The government decided to spice things up for me and called me to jury duty.  Here is the exciting details of my civic duty.

I drove to the courthouse in downtown Salt Lake City to report to jury duty.  There were a lot of people called for duty that day.  We were assigned to three different trials going on at the same time.  I was assigned to trial three.  The first trial group was released to go home by 9:30 AM and didn’t even have to go to a courtroom!  (Those were the lucky ones!)  The second group had to fill out a questionnaire and then was taken to a courtroom.  My group of about 26 people was led up to a courtroom last.  We sat in the juror seats while we were asked if we would be unbiased and then told about the case.  Then we were told that the prosecution and defendant get to choose three jurors each.  If we were closer to being the first juror, we would be more likely to be chosen.  Of course, I was the first juror on the list so I was selected to be a juror.  (I should have bought a lottery ticket that day since I was so lucky to be chosen!)  Besides the five other jurors, the rest of the group was released to leave.


I was grateful there was only one witness and the defendant chose not to take the witness stand.  The defendant was being charged with assault of an officer and disorderly conduct.  The witness was the officer claiming he was assaulted.  He gave a good testimony.  He was examined and cross examined.  Since the defendant waived his chance to take the stand, the court was adjourned to a lunch break of one hour.  (I would have foregone the lunch break and just got the case over!)  I sat and talked with my fellow jurors (not about the case!) for the hour in the cafeteria.

After lunch, we were read the instructions on how to be a juror and what to do in deliberation.  We were dismissed to deliberate and locked in a room.  Gratefully the people who had strong opinions agreed so the rest of us just went along with it.  We did stay in the room long enough to get the free snacks they sent us.  As soon as we had divvied up the snacks, we let the officer know we were done deliberating.  We found the defendant guilty of disorderly conduct but the prosecution did not prove without a reasonable doubt that the defendant was guilty of assault of an officer so we found the defendant not guilty of assault of an officer.  I was done with jury duty about 2:15 PM.

All done with my civic duty for another three years.  Nice!