Sunday, June 19, 2011

It's Not Easy Being Green


In June, I was selected to be part of a national advertising campaign for Marker ski bindings.  The advertising campaign would involve a still camera shoot and a video shoot.  Both shoots would take place on one day.  I had to go to auditions and costume fittings at the talent agency that got me the job before the shoot occurred.  Then the day of the shoot finally came.  Here's a day in the life of a model.  I'm sure you will find it fascinating.  (I know most of you will just scroll down to the pictures.)  Enjoy!

I drove to the McCune Mansion in Salt Lake City for the Marker ski binding photo shoot.  I was to spend the day doing whatever they wanted me to do while dressed like a green jester.  First of all, I absolutely fell in love with the McCune Mansion.  I had been there when I was a little kid for a wedding reception.  When the mansion opened, I explored the first floor before everyone else showed up.  I was grateful I took that opportunity because there wasn’t any other time to do it.  Once everyone (body painter, catering, make-up, hairdresser, wardrobe, director, camera and boom operators, etc) showed up, the photo shoot began.  I got in my costume which consisted of black leggings, black tennis shoes, black socks, a gray long sleeve shirt, a black scarf tied around my waist, and a jester hat complete with bells.

Here's a picture before going green.

I talked with the other people in the photo shoot and read in a book I had brought while I waited for my turn to have my body painted green.  The photo shoot consisted of seven Little People-Chris, Rebekah, Kealalaua’e, Matt, Will, Mike, and me.  There was also one average sized girl, about seventeen years old, who portrayed Steezy Marie (the queen).  She was dressed in an old medieval dress with her hair straight up in the air.  I watched as Matt, Kealalaua’e, Chris, Rebekah, and Will got painted green.  I enjoyed watching the process.  Depending on whether the costume involved a hat some had to have their ears and necks painted green!  I also partook of craft services while I waited since I knew that time for eating would be nonexistent when the shoot began.

After two hours, it was finally my turn to go green.  It took about fifteen minutes for the body painter to turn me green.  I was grateful my costume had a hat that covered my ears and neck so they didn’t have to be painted.  My fingers, fingernails, hands, wrists, and face were all painted green.  It looked and felt pretty awesome!  It was fun to be green!  The paint was airbrushed on.  The paint was cold.  It always made me jump when he started because a puff of air would assault me along with the cold paint.  After I was painted green, I went to make-up.  I was also grateful my hair was covered up so I didn’t have to have my hair done.  The final part of my ensemble was a jester (puppet) head that looked like me that I carried around on a stick.  My character talked with the puppet as if it were human and I used the puppet to mesmerize people to do what I want them to do (mostly create mischief).  

When I was finally ready, I went up to the third floor in the mansion where the photo shoot was taking place.  Since I was the second to last person to get ready, the photo shoot had already begun.  They did a series of pictures with the jesters jumping on a trampoline while I was getting ready.  I was glad I missed that!  The videos consisted of an introduction of each jester, a lot of hanging out talking about Jester Marker ski bindings, and trying to win the favor of Steezy Marie.

Around 1 PM, they began setting up the shot for the print ad.  It took a LOT of time to set up!  I was put in a few different places before they decided on where I should be.  In the shot, I was mesmerizing the shy jester (who was sitting in time out with a jester hat) to get off the stool and do more mayhem.  The photographer took a LOT of pictures once the shoot was set.  My eyes were probably closed in half of them or maybe I was doing weird things with my face.  Who knows?  Thank goodness for photo shop!

We were given a thirty minute break for lunch/dinner around 4 PM.  I scarfed down a roast beef sandwich and cookies.  Then had my makeup touched up.  Then it was back to work.  They were all done with the still photos.  After dinner, we made the still photo come alive with video.  It was CRAZY!  Total MAYHEM!!  Kealalaua’e knocked the head off of my puppet with her barbell.  I just laughed and picked it up and kept going.  All of the LPs ended up in one big heap at the feet of Steezy Marie as she rolled her eyes at us.  It was so fun!

Will and Chris decided to do some sumo wrestling.  One time when they hit, they hit so hard they both fell down on the ground!  It was HILARIOUS!  I tried so hard not to pee my pants!  Then five of the LPs (Kealalaua’e and I opted to be spectators) were filmed playing musical chairs.  Once again, I laughed so HARD!  The LPs really got into it.  When the “music stopped” some were so competitive that they fought for the chairs.  At one point, a leg of a chair popped off.  The leg went one direction, the chair tipped over, and the jester was sitting on the ground wondering what happened.  So FUNNY!

The photo and video shoot finally ended around 7:30 PM.  I changed out of my costume and gave it back to the wardrobe person.  I left the green makeup on when I left so on my drive home, I made a very concerted effort not to stop directly next to another car when I had to stop at red lights.  I didn’t want anyone to freak out when they looked over and saw a green LP driving the car next to them.  They probably would have thought I was some sort of alien or something!

Surprisingly, the green body paint came off relatively easy.  The body paint artist had left each of us some cream that helped take the paint off.  It came off my hands and face pretty easily.  The paint had worn off some on the palms of my hands from holding the puppet stick all day.  The hardest parts to get the paint off were my hands and fingernails.  I had green hands and fingernails for a few days.

Here is the final product of the print ad.  I went to Barnes and Noble last week and bought the current issue of Powder Magazine because the ad is there.  It was pretty fun to see!

Here is the link to the video: