Saturday, February 26, 2011

Wicked Divas Concert

Last weekend I attended the Wicked Divas Concert with the Utah Symphony with my mom at Abravanel Hall. It was AMAZING! I loved every minute of it. Two singers were brought in for the concert-Julia Murney and Stephanie J. Block. Both women have played Elphaba in Wicked. I don't remember seeing Julia Murney play Elphaba but Stephanie J. Block is my most favorite Elphaba of all time. (I have even seen Idina Menzel who originated the role on Broadway play Elphaba.) This is the first time I have attended one of Stephanie's concerts (and it better not be the last). I saw her as Elphaba numerous times (on tour and Broadway) and as Judy Bernly in the musical 9 to 5 when it was playing in Los Angeles (before it went to Broadway). My friend Matt used to work with Stephanie decades ago at Disneyland and would tell me the funniest stories.

Back to the concert. I went with Mom Friday night to see it. I think I had a perma-grin on my face the whole time. I loved the songs these women sang. The instrumental pieces were amazing too. It was a perfect blend of orchestral and singing Broadway-style songs. I loved it so much I bought a single ticket and went Saturday night by myself to see it again! So good! I must admit, I enjoyed Friday night better because Stephanie sang Defying Gravity. (No one beats her Defying Gravity!) She sang Popular and Julia sang Defying Gravity Saturday night. Although Saturday night after Stephanie sang My Heart Will Go On, the entire audience was so entranced with the song there was a moment of silence between the last notes of the music and the audience clapping. It was magical! Here are some pictures from Friday night.

Three Divas-Julia Murney, Me, Stephanie J. Block

Me and the Amazing Stephanie J. Block-I can't get enough of her!

Michael, Me, and Chihuly*

The Close Up Version*

*Friday night I went to the Concert with my Mom. Michael randomly showed up after the concert. I think he is stalking me. Since we were dressed so nice, we decided to snap a few pictures. Thanks Chihuly for providing us with such a wonderful background.