Friday, July 31, 2009

Family Vacation 2009

The Winns (or three of us) had a "Staycation" for our family vacation this year. Chris and Allen flew in from Orlando for a fun and frivolous ten days (or so). Because I had the most inflexible job, I had the freedom of floating in and out of the festivities.

We began by hiking Ensign Peak to get an aerial view of the beautiful Salt Lake Valley. (Hiking Ensign Peak always reminds me of Seminary Council and the "Limo Date" where we were stranded for a few hours.) Anyway, the hike was great! It was a little hazy but still beautiful blue skies.

After the hike, we ate lunch at the first-ever KFC. Then we headed to the Bingham Copper Mines. We took our obligatory picture in front of the huge tire. We watched the trucks move here and there, picking up dirt, unloading dirt. Then we watched the informative movie and saw all the wonderful things that the Copper Mine produces that keeps this world turning.Then I got a four day break from the family fun as everyone (except me) traveled south to Lake Powell. The report was they all had a great time! I had a great time as well!

Chris and Allen came home earlier than Mom and Dad so we got some sibling time in. We had a great time together on the 24th of July (which is a holiday in Utah). We watched part of the Days of '47 Parade on TV and then decided to fling ourselves in the middle of all the fun. We drove past the So You Think You Can Dance auditions (more than once) being held that day. There were A LOT of wannabes! Who knows, maybe someone will make it to the show?! Then we went to the Hogle Zoo (with MANY Utahns)! There were a lot of people there. Most of the animals were sleeping in the shade because it was such a hot day! The real animals were the toddlers around naptime. I definitely didn't want to take any of them home with me!
I think it's a rule that you have to get your picture taken at this fountain when you go to the zoo, so we did.

I took the guys to the airport the following day and I was back to my freedom until the parents came home a few days later. I loved spending time with my family! We had a great time together, whether it was playing croquet in the backyard or eating lunch at Cafe Rio. Allen is such a great addition to our family!